In Practice

Button batteries in the oesophagus: A surgical emergency

K Milford, A Numanoglu, A Brooks, S Cox

Abstract


We describe two cases of missed battery ingestion that led to extensive morbidity, requiring surgical management that would not have been necessary had the batteries been removed timeously.


Authors' affiliations

K Milford, Division of Paediatric Surgery, Red Cross War Memorial Children's Hospital and Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Cape Town, South Africa

A Numanoglu, Division of Paediatric Surgery, Red Cross War Memorial Children's Hospital and Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Cape Town, South Africa

A Brooks, Christiaan Barnard Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Red Cross War Memorial Children's Hospital and Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Cape Town, South Africa

S Cox, Division of Paediatric Surgery, Red Cross War Memorial Children's Hospital and Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Cape Town, South Africa

Full Text

PDF (150KB)

Keywords

Foreign bodies; Button batteries; Oesophagus

Cite this article

South African Medical Journal 2016;106(10):978-980. DOI:10.7196/SAMJ.2016.v106i10.11172

Article History

Date submitted: 2016-06-14
Date published: 2016-09-23

Article Views

Abstract views: 2219
Full text views: 956

Comments on this article

*Read our policy for posting comments here