Haemotoxic snakebite in rural KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa: A case presenting with haematemesis
A 36-year-old man who had been bitten on his left index finger by a snake identified as a boomslang (Dispholidus typus) presented with haematemesis and hypovolaemic shock. Coagolopathy was presumed, and the platelet count was 2 × 10⁹/L. Findings on upper endoscopy included oesophageal petechial haemorrhages, severe haemorrhagic gastritis and an antral ulcer. The patient was successfully managed using freeze-dried plasma, packed red blood cells, isotonic crystalloids and polyvalent antivenom.
Mark Wagener, Ngwelezane Hospital, Empangeni, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
Full TextPDF (97KB)
Cite this article
Date published: 2016-03-30
Full text views: 826
Comments on this article*Read our policy for posting comments here